Sunday 3 October 2010

Barcelona

A few weeks ago I told you about the first two legs of our holiday to Monaco and Nice. I'm sorry I wasn't able to continue the story of our travels earlier, but I'm back on the case now.

Following our stay in Nice, we headed out of Spain to the next destination on our trip...

...Barcelona

Barcelona is famous, amongst other things, for the quirky architecture of the late Antoni Gaudi. Here's a picture of the world renowned architect....



...and here's a picture of yours truly in my hotel room. Luckily, we were located directly opposite one of Gaudi's famous works: the Palau Güell.



Look at the candy coloured spire-like chimney tops on the roof in the background. The view from my room was never dull!


During our visit, we got to see a few more of Gaudi's creations...

...like the Casa Milà...


...the Casa Batlló...


...and, of course, the Sagrada Família.


The architecture inside the Sagrada Família is fantastic!


Of course there's a lot more to Barcelona than the works of Gaudi. Let me show you around..

Me and Dad taking a stroll down at La Rambla, which is only a few yards from our hotel.


The vibrant street is in the heart of the city and it is busy day and night.

Next, here's a few photos taken in Barcelona's old town.

The building behind me is Palau Reial.


This is Barcelona Cathedral.


And here's me and Dad next to a poster commemorating the reign of General Franco. Franco was very unpopular with the people of Barcelona.


From the old town, let's take a walk to Barcelona's historic port area of Barceloneta...

Me and Missus in front of a monument to Christopher Columbus. I seem to recall seeing this guy once before during our visit to Genoa.


Me and Dad taking a rest at Port Vell.


Next, we took a long (very tiring) walk up the hill of Montjuïc...

A view from the top of Montjuïc looking down on the city of Barcelona.


Here's me and Dad in front of the Castell de Montjuïc.


And here I am inside Barcelona's 'Estadi Olímpic de Montjuïc', which was the venue for the 1992 Olympic Games. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to take a run around the track!


On the way back down Montjuïc, we managed to get a few more 'family shots'..

Me and Missus. It's nice to be in love!


Me and Missus again. But, hold on! Who's that guy in the background stealing my thunder?



Me and Dad.


And here's me, Missus and Dad in a group photo for a change.


Enough of the humans...

...Me.


And me again. The fabulous building in the background is the 'Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya'.

Well folks, that was Barcelona. I loved it! 

I've only got one more place to tell you about from our recent holiday. I'll save that for next time... 

Hasta luego mi amigos! Adios!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Your trip is making me drool! I'm so upset that we won't be able to visit this year. With my husband still unemployed, there was no way we could do a trip like this, especially the way we wanted to. My fingers are crossed for next year!

We'll still be doing a little traveling - we will be going on a cruise that was a gift to us. It sure beats nothing!

Happy travels!
Love,
Sue & the gang

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Thanks fur sharing your Barcelona fun!

Those were some inkhredible pikhs!

Of khourse, the bestest ones had a khommon GOLDEN theme!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

George The Lad said...

Thats one place I would love to vist, thanks for sharing, you have been busy. Greatphotos to
Jan

Molly the Airedale said...

Barcelona is just beautiful, Homer! You are sure one lucky dog to visit so many lovely spots! Thank you for the tour!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

~Kim at Golden Pines~ said...

Homer, you are unbeleivable!! You are by far the most jet-setting Golden I've ever known!! I LOVE to see the pictures from your adventures and dream of someday being where you have been!!! THANKS for sharing your trip with someone like me, who never gets to go anywhere! :-)

Jake of Florida said...

Our mom was in Barcelona years and years ago -- so she loved seeing some of the places she remembers, especially the Rambla and the historic buildings.

She didn't have us with her though -- we weren't even born -- so it couldn't have been the same special fun as the one you experienced altogether en famille!

Lovely pictures!!

Wirey woofs,

Jake and Just Harry

The Life of Riley said...

Homer,

My mum has been really enjoying your travel photos and blog posts as they remind her of her travels to the same far away places that she went to when she was young. You're so lucky being able to travel with your family experiencing all the different sights, smells and sounds.

Woofs,

Riley

Unknown said...

Oh Homer - Hsin-Yi loved this post! She and Paul went for a great holiday in Barcelona when they were still at university together and Hsin-Yi remembers visiting all those places! Especially the Sagrada Familia - she and Paul climbed up all the steps to the top of one of those towers - it was a LOT of steps!!! :-)

Thanks for sharing such great photos. Can't wait to see your next stop!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane